Friday, September 23, 2011

A gift

image

I wish that I could say that I am one of those moms.  You know the ones.  The ones that never seem to lose their temper or have a hair out of place.  They make gourmet meals and adore all things domestic.  They take on new challenges with passion and grace.  It seems that everyone in their life is nurtured and care for (including themselves).  Unfortunately... I am not one of those women.  I lose my temper more than I like to admit.  I feel overwhelmed and grumpy.  I eat too little or too much and rarely get the exercise I need.  I constantly search for balance that often feels inches away. The result is that, too often, I am all burned out.  The kids are running around, dinner is burning, I still have ten things on my to do list, and my poor husband - well he can forget getting his time with me.  I believe in keeping it real.  One of my favorite homeschool bloggers wrote about transparency last year when she started her journey.  I love that idea.  None of us are doing it perfect and we all feel overwhelmed regardless of faith or race or economic status. Parenthood is hard work.  Stick with me… I do have a point.

My life is blessed.  So much so that sometimes it is overwhelming. This year we started a different adventure and rather than having long periods of time available for inquiry activities we have to cram our learning into late afternoon.  You are familiar with this time, right?  That means that I am trying to cram more into those wonderful hours of the afternoon where bath, sports practice, and dinner are all fighting for time.  That isn’t even listing the need for some good old fashioned play and cuddles.  Sometimes it is really hard.  Sometimes it all can't get done.  Sometimes I want to put my head on the table and just go to sleep, but then I look at my family.  I just smile. My sweet "baby" who is working so hard on a puzzle.  My big boy who is showing his brother how to build a train track.  My husband who is driving the kids to another activity even though I know he is exhausted  or my teenage daughter who is just trying to survive adolescence. Man,  I am lucky.

My point.  We argue and fuss at my house.  We all whine about things that need to get done. We don't get to spend hours exploring activities every day, but I try to find a balance.  My goal is to have one real exploration a week.  Something planned.  Sometimes we have more and sometimes we have less, but that is my goal.  My children look forward to this time more than any other thing we  do together. Sometimes it is hard.  I struggle to not push or force learning.  When I can overcome the need to push, the world is a little less overwhelming for a few minutes as they play and learn.  What a gift!  Yeah I guess it is to them, but more to me.  It really is all worth it! 

I know you are  busy and stressed.  This may be a season that is full of challenges.   My unsolicited advice for the day - take a little time to play and explore with your kids or whole family.  The world seems to slow down and you get the chance to act like a kid again. Give yourself that gift. Just my two cents.  Have a great weekend!

6 comments:

Susan @ learning ALL the time!! said...

I think this post is great! I also lose my temper an awful lot more than I would like, I am hard on myself, and I am frequently overwhelmed and grumpy. I am a work in progress...I know these things about myself, and am trying to slow down and live in the moment more.
I think our job as parents is to do the best we can, be honest with ourselves and our kids, and to work on doing better when we realize that we need to. Thanks for being honest!!

Laura @Art For Little Hands said...

First paragraph sounds like me a lot. I am the worst whiner in my house and I have a house full of them. We all are just doing our best. I don't even home school and I feel so much stress getting things in. Thanks for the honesty.

Nellie said...

Great post! I often have people say to me that they would never be able to homeschool because they're not that patient...good thing they don't see in to my house every day! It's hard not to be overwhelmed by life, especially as we set out to guide our children in a purposeful way. Love the blog and can't wait to find inspiration for our year long nature study!

Kim @ The Learning Hypothesis said...

Thanks everyone. I think it important for us to be honest about our own limits. I really appreciate knowing I am not alone. Hope you have had a great weekend.

Jon said...

Great, honest post. Thankfully we're all remembering this year that it is in fact OK to take a break if you need it!

Dr Marissa said...

Very well put. We have all been there...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...