Friday, August 12, 2011

Invisible Ink

If your kids are like mine, they don’t enjoy memorization. Actually my 6 year old and brand new 1st grader HATES it! He believes in learning patterns and applying those ideas. He also doesn’t really have an interest in sight words, but begin talking about monarch butterflies, whales, or volcanoes and he will give you a detailed lecture. So I decided to try to make him look forward to his sight word practice…. with some invisible ink. Our invisible ink was lemon juice. We had completed the lemon experiments that we found here a few days previously. We began by reviewing what makes the lemon give more juice. He rolled the lemon while I got the spelling list and paper ready. We used lemon juice, a cotton swab, and paper. Since we are working on spelling and reading the words (skills of encoding and decoding text), I actually had him read the card and copy this time. All we did was use the cotton swab dipped in lemon juice as our writing utensil. Let the ink dry and it will be invisible. I then used the hair dryer on the hot setting to cause the ink to become visible. You can use an iron or I have heard of people putting it in the oven as well. If you choose to put it in the oven, do not leave it unattended as it could ignite! A pizza box solar oven would be a lovely extension of this activity. And what did we get….

IMG_1079[1]

If you were wondering the word list is: that, much, math, shop, chin, ship, this, fish, bath and with. He got some sight word practice with a little science magic thrown in and I got to work with him without whining (his or mine). It was awesome.

3 comments:

Jon said...

For the adults: This is the exact same technique used in Nastional Treasure (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368891/) to put the secret message on the back of the Declaration of Independence. :)

Ticia said...

Oh great idea for the pizza solar oven. The solar oven is on my list to do sometime.

I agree with Jon, back when I did this with my kids I wanted to put the clip on my blog with the secret message on the Declaration of Independence.

Thanks for linking up this week!

Kim said...

Thanks for stopping by, I'll be looking out for a future post on the solar oven from you ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...